October Blog Problem of the Month

Where do you keep your socks? Go to the drawer and carefully remove them and anything else that is in there. (Be neat! You will have to put them back neatly!) Now go get a ruler and measure your drawer. You need to measure the length, width, and height of the drawer in inches. Now you will need to do some estimating to answer as many of the following questions as you like. You can answer one each time you reply or do several all at one time.

·   What is the volume of your drawer?

·   Get your favorite book that you have in your house. Put it in your drawer. About how many books that size could fit into your drawer? Tell us how you figured that out. (Make sure to tell us the name of your favorite book!)

·   About how many pairs of socks can you fit in your drawer? Tell us how you figured that out?

·   Find a quarter somewhere.  Put it in your drawer. If your drawer was absolutely filled completely with quarters only, about how much money would there be in the drawer? Tell us how you figured that out.

·   Put your calculator in the drawer. About how many calculators like yours could fit in the drawer? (You might need a calculator to figure that one out. You might need a calculator to figure any of these out!) Tell us how you figured that out.

Now carefully and neatly replace your socks so nobody comes to yell at you for messing up your room!

3 thoughts on “October Blog Problem of the Month

1. 1.
    Q. What is the volume of your drawer?
    A. The 3D shape of my sock RACK is 2,340 cubic inches or 195 cubic feet. I got that by finding the height, width, and length of my sock rack and multiplied them by each other. The height was 13, the width was 12, and the length was 15.

2. 2. Q. About how many books that size could fit into your drawer?
    A. I used a ruler to measure the height, length, and width of my book. The height was 1.5 in, the length was 7.75 in, and the width was 5.25 in. I multiplied all of them together and got 61 cu. in. Then I divided the volume of my sock rack by 61 and got 38, so 38 books of that size fit into my sock rack.

3. Q. About how many pairs of socks can you fit in your drawer?
    A. I got a sock and did the math to figure out how many socks would fit in the same book I used in question 2 and I got 8. Then I did how many books can fit in my sock rack * 8 and got 304, so 304 socks fit in my sock rack.

4. Q. If your drawer was absolutely filled completely with quarters only, about how much money would there be in the drawer?
    A. Quarter shape is like a cylinder. I used a ruler to find the height, diameter, and radius of the quarter. The height was 0.1 in, the diameter was 0.8 in, and the radius was 0.4. The volume of a quarter is Pi * r*r*h
    Volume = 3.14*0.4*0.4*0.1 = 0.05 cu in
    The volume of the Rack is 2340 cu in. So the number of quarters will be 2340/0.05 = 46,576 quarters. 4 quarters are equal to 1 dollar. Then, 46,576 quarters will be equal to 11,644 dollars (46576/4).

5. Q. About how many calculators like yours could fit in the drawer?
    A. I used a ruler to measure the height, length, and width of my calculator. The height was 0.5 in, the length was 5.5 in, and the width was 3 in. I multiplied them by each other and got 8.25 cu.in. Then I divided 8.25 from 2,340 and got 280 calculators.

3. Q= What is the volume of your drawer?

A= a crazy number with a decimal point. The answer is 667.283203125 cubic inches. A height of 2.625 inches, a width of 12.75 inches, and a length of 19.9375. 😛

(crazy decimals like me) 🙁